Stanbic IBTC Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa’s financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for resourceful individuals to join our dedicated team at our offices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Internal Control Officer – Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers Ltd
Job ID: 37213
Job Location: Lagos Island, Lagos
Job Sector: Banking
- Risk Management: understanding all risks – from the economic to the political – that could affect our global business, and offering guidance to all parts of the bank
- This is an internal function which will drive the framework, oversight andmonitoring of the control environment in Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers Ltd and &Subsidiaries within the Group.
- He / She will work as an internal consultant to thebusiness, to manage the Bank’s assets through effective risk management andcontrol systems with an ultimate aim to mitigate risk in transactions and theunderlying processes, in partnership with the HO units & Subsidiaries.
- The focus will be to mitigate operational risk through a number of control andmonitoring processes. Important stakeholders include Internal Audit, Compliance,Operational Risk, IT, Business Management, amongst other Head Office Units &Subsidiaries within the group.The role holder will need to develop these relationships in order to maintain /establish efficient and robust operating models across Stanbic IBTC stock brokers.
- He / She is also expected to build a strong control environment to ensure zerolevel of policy, procedures and regulatory infractions and zero tolerance forcontrol gaps, open GL Items, unreviewed / unauthorized transactions and income.
- To support the and strengthen the control environment in the Group by introducing new initiatives toward achieving an effective control system within the group; and ensure regulatory, group policy standards and minimum operating procedures are observed to minimize exposure to risk
- Maintain a culture within the organization that emphasizes and demonstrates the importance of internal control to build strong awareness in staff on policy and procedures issues.
- Identify and assess the risks facing both systems and business processes thereby providing effective loss and risk management and so minimising the operational risks.
- Review transaction tickets where applicable to ensure compliance in transactions processing and authorization and Investigation on Processing errors
- Conduct process walkthrough reviews / independent spot checks on SISL and identifying problem areas and offering recommendations
- Ensure effective compliance with agreed limits of authority, levels of access to systems/information and provide assurance of a strong compliance environment to ensure zero operational losses and no policy/regulatory infractions.
- Keep track of sensitive processes to ensure compliance with regulatory directives across SISL
- Provide guidance on the required control mechanisms related to existing or new business processes and giving expert advice on HOSC Control issues
- Influencing process change across SISL to maintain risk levels whilst seeking process efficiencies.
- Liaises with business stakeholders in ensuring that regulatory, group policy standards, minimum operating procedures regulatory & routine controls are observed effectively to minimise the Bank’s exposure to risk.
- Work in partnership with all stakeholders to ensure potential risks and controls are adequately identified and measured appropriately.
- Review of past Internal & External audit / Control recommendations/regulatory reports / fraud trends to identify exceptions raised and key lessons learnt in order to track remedial action/ compliance within agreed timelines and ensure adequate controls to prevent repeat findings.
- Process documentation , review & alignment
- Continuous review and improvement of work processes within the unit.
- Reduction in Operational Loss as a percentage of Gross Income
- Resolution of overdue audit issues
- KYC Compliance
- Prompt rendition of High Quality HOSC weekly reports with minimal error
- Improved control environment through continuous and high level engagement
- Satisfactory rating in the Audit reviews and Internal Service Survey (ISS).
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- First degree in Business, Accounting/Finance-related field.
- Professional Accounting or Internal Control Qualification will be an added advantage
- Certifications or professional memberships – ACA, ACS
- 4 years post ACA Control experience in banking operations, capital market operations and control.
- Must be able to understand complex operation in the financial service sector
- Good internal and external communication skills with all stakeholders resulting in exceptional customer service delivery.
- Analytical skills
- Risk identification and assessment skills
- Problem solving skills
- Visibly assist the key stakeholders in achieving targets and standards of performance by providing consistent encouragement and guidance.
- Be committed to championing best practice, and positively supporting business and cultural changes within the group.